livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Hugelkulture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Hugelkulture
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:13:14 -0400

Laura, I'm really pleased that you found a method that worked for you, but I can honestly tell you that if my neighbor were to ask me how to set up a new garden, this is the last method I would point them to, as in my area we have little need for this sort of thing, and all I saw was an incredible waste of time. Granted in my neck of the woods we have very nice soil for growing, and a fairly wet climate so drought is rarely an issue (our downside is season length and the occasional winter without snow which damages a lot of perrenials). I've seen some people online that do a variation of this hugelkulture and a lasagne style and so I can kind of understand. I really think you hit the nail on the head when you said that it was a system that worked in your area, and that's the key. Each area is different - that's why there are so many methods. Thanks for sharing yours.

Tameson NH zone 5

  • [Livingontheland] Hugelkulture, TamesonOB, 10/23/2006