livingontheland - [Livingontheland] a real big problem - origin of Organic Agriculture in the United States

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] a real big problem - origin of Organic Agriculture in the United States
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:40:21 -0600

Hello, Barry and welcome. To all: what I asked was what's wrong with this
picture - Origins of Organic Agriculture in the U.S.

I have a real big problem with the whole idea. It's really only about the
term organic and it's origin. But it rarely occurs to anyone that we didn't
have chemical fertilizers and pesticides before the 20th century, and
Americans ALL grew organically before that, not to mention literally
millions of native Americans who farmed and gardened organically for
centuries right here. But that's not important - or is it? How on earth did
they get by without superphosphate, ammonium nitrate, Roundup, and all the
other poisons? They did, and they did very well without them. And half the
food staples we enjoy today were farmed and developed by the indigenous
populations. After all, you can't live on nothing but wild game.

But that's not all. A lot of European immigrants were growing organically
and using surprising techniques they brought from the Old Country, well
into the 1970's and beyond. My partner Barb testifies to the fact. With her
father she saw first hand the gardens of other immigrants (both her parents
came from Italy) - Italians, Poles, Czechs, Russians, Hungarians and others
in Connecticut and in Brooklyn. She recalls her surprise at the time seeing
how they all grew the same way, and had for generations in the Old
Countries. No chemicals, no synthetic fertilizer, no fungicides. They *did
not dig* their gardens but got good, healthy food production. They all
covered their beds with composted manure or composted leaves or other green
matter. And they kept permanent beds with set walkways between. Different
ethnic groups didn't all grow the same plants, but they definitely did it
the same way. Barb explains she worked their own garden the same way with
her father.

Now how many of these practices are touted as the latest and greatest idea
in organic gardening? How many books have been sold without crediting the
knowledge of indigenous peoples or practices brought from many other
countries and cultures? And how much have we actually lost?

I posted several articles about and by Emilia Hazelip, leading up to just
this.

In The Synergistic Garden, http://www.fukuokafarmingol.info/faemilia.html
the organic practices Emilia described are eerily similar to Barb's
experience with all the immigrant gardens she saw in the 1970's in
Connecticut and Brooklyn. No-till, no fertilizer or sprays, permanent beds
and walkways, and so on. Plants simply put in wherever there's room for
them, succession planting, companion plants. Emilia was not satisfied with
Fukuoka or Mollison after studying with both. She learned from Fukuoka,
Mollison, Chadwick, Ruth Stout, and others in the late '60s. She taught
these ways in France and finally even in Italy. Yet in the remote village
Barb's mother came from near Potenza, that's just the way people gardened
for centuries. No books, no experts, no foundation funding. Ordinary people
using their own good sense, passed down generations. Barb says learning to
garden is a lot like learning to cook - best taught one on one, passed down
the generations. Recipes just can't teach it all.

I gotta hand it to Ruth Stout. She wrote in 1960 that someone once accused
her of thinking she invented mulch. Her answer was, God invented mulch.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
listowner