livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fort Hall Green-Manure Project Hosts Field Day

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mtncats@planetcomm.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fort Hall Green-Manure Project Hosts Field Day
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:20:54 -0400

Paul and everybody,

Mustard and arugula are "green-manure"? News to me, but lots of things are.

This is a part of our perennial process, let it come up from last crop's
seeds, mature, and reseed itself. The fall crop is doing nicely,
self-seeded from the spring. All I do is make sure most of the seed heads
stay over the raised beds, rather than the aisles. During the process we
harvest all the greens we want. Mustard and arugula being particular
favorites here, along with cilantro. What we don't pick becomes part of the
mulch.

We have snow peas coming back the same way. First year this has happened so
I don't know if we'll get produce but it's nice to see them climbing up the
tomato cages.

I thought I'd simply found a lazy way to ensure reseeding (under the
tomatoes). It's actually improving the soil? Anybody here who can shed more
light?

Tom (in central Va)

On 9/21/06 at 10:18 PM TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> reposted in
part: