livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Planting Jerusalem artichokes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Planting Jerusalem artichokes
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:50:25 -0600

Here we tried several deterrents, short of fencing, including blood meal.
But with almost zero rain from Jan to July, the critters were eating
anything remotely green, which turned out to be mostly the bare root
juneberries and small elms we set out shortly after relocating here. We
figured they're drawn to water so kept water out for them, but that didn't
satisfy them. Last summer it was the same story with Jerusalem artichokes.
We gave them other sources of greens and water but they still kept them
mowed down.

--Henry David Thoreau