livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] walking onions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: uriel@nasalam.org
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] walking onions
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:09:44 -0700

I was given some "walking onions" this year. I had some when I lived back in Washington state some years ago but didn't move them. The ones I was given also produced some top sets out of the top sets so perhaps they are related to the ones described here. I planted some of the top sets and now have a couple dozen new plants growing. I am hoping that a bed of these along with multiplier onions will supply all my onion needs in time.
Uriel / SW Missouri

TradingPostPaul wrote:
Curious who has these "walking onions". We're transplanting now, may sell
plants by spring.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
---------------------

http://www.gardenonions.com/
Catawissa Onion Our most popular Egyptian type onion.
Catawissa Strain (1885) This strain of onion is the tallest of the Egyptian
onions we grow. believed to have originated near Catawissa, PA and is only
a slight modification of the Egyptian tree onion. The "Vegetable Garden" by
Vilmorin-Andrieux first published in English in 1885 describes this
American strain of onion. This variety can grow to over two and a half feet
in height. Because of the large diameter of the hollow green portion of the
plant, it is excellent for stuffing with cream cheese or other spreads.
It's sets are reddish-brown and it has a unique habit of producing top-sets
out of the top-sets that develop on the plant, which in part accounts for
the plants unusual height. It is extremely winter hardy and has been grown
as far north as Alaska.