livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] walking onions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] walking onions
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

Paul,

We're growing several varieties of walking onions, but I can't remember and am too lazy to see if I actually kept the reciept or wrote down in my garden journal which variety I bought.  One variety came from a friend who got them from another gardener who only id'd them as walking onions.

We planted more garlic this morning and I'm planning to work every morning this week in the garden getting fall stuff in the ground.  Need to go thin the turnips.

It's really awesome to still have food in the garden:  okra, peppers, malabar spinach (email me if you need seeds), sage, basil, lemon grass, zuchini, sweet potatoes ( I hope there's potatoes under those vines anyway!), and tomatoes -- the chickens are getting most the tomatoes.

I hope to get a seed order off to http://www.kitazawaseed.com/   for some more asian greens that look like good fall crops.  Bokchoi did really well for a winter harvested crop in the unheated hoophouse last year.

happy gardening folks!
Carrie