livingontheland - [Livingontheland] no-till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] no-till
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 16:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

When the animals are grazing in the field/pasture, no one compost that manure.  I have seen wheat fields where one could see these little round areas of very green wheat and that was where the manure was dropped.

Hot composting gases off some things so some people use low-temp composting.  You can give reasons to do or not to do anything.

I have used fresh rabbit manure on soil. I have used fresh horse manure with bedding [sawdust] on crops both here and in Kenya.  I applied fresh horse manure and bedding [straw] on a large part of my lot this past summer.  I do no composting anymore.  It is not worth the time and labor.  Use all organic matter as mulch.  The experts say never use raw sawdust.  I have and do use it as a mulch but no more than 2-3 inches because it kinda seals up and can keep out air I have read.  Maybe that is true and maybe not.  The last time I used it on tomatoe plants I put it 8 inches deep.

I have learned that the people writting books usually have not done it much and those on the internet, garden on the internet more than in the garden.

You can read that one should never have more than 12% organic matter in the soil as then other type organism take over.  I wish I could get to 12% to find out.  The statement is useless.

My thinking is to get organic matter in the soil regardless of what you use.

Ken Hargesheimer

Do you Yahoo!?