livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Corn storage and snakes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@dotnet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Corn storage and snakes
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:30:50 -0500

Corn storage: One tech way for shelled corn might be to use barrels, and throw in some dry ice (local butcher shop?) to displace the air, then seal it up. Just an idea. I might try it this year if I can find some barrels.

Snakes: We NEVER see a snake on our place. Lots of hawks. I asked the local environmental science guy, and he said that if we have frogs and toads, we have snakes, but the snakes won't show themselves when we have a lot of hawks. I wonder if the popular favoritism toward birds is keeping the snake population too low, but I'm glad to see the birds working the fields for rabbits and mice, though I'm glad for the mice eating the weed seeds all winter. How do you know when the circle of life is getting too big or too small?

Dan
Nature Creek Farm
Belgium
"Are you Corporatist or Localist?" the question of the year.

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Corn storage and snakes, Dan Conine, 08/31/2006