livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Introduction

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: The De Mesas <thedemesas@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Introduction
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:29:07 -0500

I am not sure if I introduced our family when we joined this list but thought I would do so now as we would like to begin joining in the discussions. My husband Patrick and I with our 16 yo son moved to 10 acres in Middle Tennessee last year. We are trying to start an organic distribution company for organic products. Mainly for the Tennessee market but we are slowly building a website etc. My husband and son are at the Wilson Co Fair today. We were blessed to receive a booth to the largest fair in the state. I am home canning, cleaning etc. after the rush of this week preparing for the fair creating product brochures, etc. We have no other off farm income except the business. We have read and re-read Ten Acres is Enough, An Agricultural Testament and many other books. We sure hope 10 acres is enough to support our family.

We have fairly good soil depth. According to the official NCRS (I hope I have it right) we have anywhere from 20 to 40 inches of topsoil but we have dug down deeper than that and still not hit the limestone substrate. We are growing organic using some of our products and also building compost piles etc. We got a late start on our garden but have been very blessed with the amount of produce we have gotten. Although some things like the corn did not do very well, we still have had several meals from it. Not enough to store for the winter. It turns out that my husband loves working the land and seems to have a green thumb. Thankfully because I am know far and wide as Deborah the lettuce killer, lol. I am determined to grow some good lettuce this fall if at all possible.

Anyway, we are also trying to do as much no till as possible so we have been reading the recent posts avidly as time permits. After next weekend we will stop going to shows this year and hopefully have time to really get the land in better shape.

Blessings,

Deborah