livingontheland - [Livingontheland] perennial native grasses

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] perennial native grasses
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:03:07 -0600

I located this reference that says perennial native grasses form
mycorrhyzal associations, and annual grasses do not. Is this true in all
cases? I have a perenial native grass and I'm using the sod in new
permanent beds. I'll add winter cover crp seed on a soil layer but I want
to be sure I'm getting virgin humus from the grass sod.

from
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/rogue-siskiyou/projects/watershed/ashlandpdfs/awpp7.
pdf

In the case of mycorrhyzae, spores are
disseminated by wind or brought in by animals, which depending on the size
of the
detrimentally burned area, can take time. When the spores do arrive, there
must be live host
plants present for the mycorrhyzae to take hold. Native species such as
madrone, manzanita,
perennial native grasses, and conifer trees (natural or planted) form
associations quickly with
mycorrhyzae and speed the recovery.

Invasion of non-mycorrhizal species such as annual grasses and weeds
compete with and
limit the presence of host plants, reducing the recovery rates of these
sites (Perry et.al. 1987).
In general, the recovery of the biological component of the soil of large
disturbed areas is a
function of the speed of reinvasion of native perennial plants, which are
host to mycorrhizal
species and produce organic compounds, a major food source for other soil
organisms.

--Henry David Thoreau

  • [Livingontheland] perennial native grasses, TradingPostPaul, 08/16/2006