livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Mound and Native Ag focus

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: firekeeper@netscape.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Mound and Native Ag focus
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:52:56 -0400

Hi Norma

For 3 sisters planting, if that was what you were aiming at, the squash cool the roots and the corn holds up the beans, the beans help convert a bit of nitrogen for the others, if I am remembering right.  I am stuck in conditions that have also been iminical to the squash, too wet and too shady in my back yard, and I have not yet found a variety that likes these conditions.  The old ones kept several different kind of corn, beans and squash on hand so as to match the crop to the type of year they are having Wet/dry, Long season/short, Cool/hot.  What you may want to do is buy several sets, These seeds will last quite a while, so you can do trial sets in 2-3 different years and make notes on what the conditions were and were expected to be and how each performed.  Several native seed selections actually won't produce much of anything unless there is a drought.  It takes some notes and research to replicate the oral traditions behind these seeds but it would have to be done anywhere you are, unless you are where the old seed keepers are and knew the weather the way they do.

Good luck
Yours, Pego