livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Wheat is the new oil: Nutrient Cycling

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Wheat is the new oil: Nutrient Cycling
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:34:40 -0500 (CDT)

This is one issue where we should focus the use of machinery and precious
energy: mining for minerals. As John D. Hammaker spelled out, we've got
remineralize the earth!

NOTE: Hammaker's underlying concern was with climate change. He felt that we
had to create more biomass, and that this couldn't be achieved with the
current mineral state of our soils.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@cox.net>

Sunlight is useless without the mineral nutrients. Mineral "mining" using
any method is a short term fix. Once the mined nutrients are exported they
have to be replaced or crops will fail.

Phil