livingontheland - [Livingontheland] A shameless plug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] A shameless plug
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:40:09 +0000

For all on the list who raise poultry, or aspire to, may I commend to you a new magazine, Backyard Poultry, a spinoff of Countryside magazine, founded by JD Belanger--most likely many of you know of it. I think Elaine Belanger is doing an excellent job of shaping the magazine to be a mouthpiece for the homestead perspective on the subject (as opposed to that of the extension agent/ag college crowd).

This has to count as a shameless plug rather than a neutral post because I have been writing a lot for BYP. The fourth issue just came out, and to date I have had 7 articles, starting with the second issue--using electronet fencing to manage poultry; working with the cock(s) in the flock; a rebuttal of the ag college perspective on poultry feeding; working with broody hens; the homestead waterfowl flock; and, in the current issue, making your own poultry feeds, and homestead poultry butchering. Next issue will feature production of more of the flock's feed from the homestead's own resources, and a collection of "war stories"--accounts of our experiences of predator attacks over the years, what we learned and how we adjusted.

Hope any of you who give the new mag a peek will find it useful.

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us