livingontheland - [Livingontheland] preparation / was commune way of living

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] preparation / was commune way of living
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:20:13 -0600

My own take on it is recession, depression, worse depression and not
getting better. I expect gradual worsening of cost of living and more
desperation spreading through the middle class, rather than something that
triggers catastrophic collapse. Assuming New Madrid, Yellowstone, and San
Adreas keep quiet, and the politicians don't go completely bonkers. But
let's remember in the '30s Depression we didn't have hungry hordes raiding
homes and stores. They went on the road and rode the rails looking for
work. They showed up at back doors along the tracks asking for a sandwich,
and got it. But then again, half the population lived on farms and had
their own food. My aunts and uncles in Kansas had no money as kids but
never missed a meal. Grandpa homesteaded near Two Buttes, CO in the '20s,
sold it and eventually moved near Hutchinson. They gardened, canned, and
made good use of the root cellar. But people in town suffered.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net