livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] ??no-till??

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Fargir@aol.com
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] ??no-till??
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:47:12 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2006 10:01:17 A.M. Central Standard Time, laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net writes:
>But since I have to use sprinklers for most of my garden, I'm doubting that
having newspaper under the hay is a good idea... is the water getting under
the newspaper? <

    Not having worked with your soil or growing condition I can not say for sure for YOUR land but  I used multi layers of newspaper under plastic to make a small pool. Even after the plastic developed holes, I found out while removing it, that the ground under the newspaper was basically dry. The top layers of newspaper was wet  but the ground under it was no wetter that the surrounding soil at lest 50 ft out;
    Maybe after a few more years, the newspaper would breakdown enough to let the water through??
    I use plastic cover in my garden with veg { ie pulled weeds ;-)  } cover on top . No problems with watering.  I just water the plants and the water that falls on the plastic just rolls off and under. In the low spots I just cut a slit with a knife.  Maybe you could do the same with the newspaper?

Peggy