livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] ¿¿No-till??

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] ¿¿No-till??
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:40:10 -0600

My own concern is the small market garden, the kind we need a few million
more of as the reality of fossil fuel problems sinks in. For those who know
how, a lot of people can make a lot of money in the near future. For this I
don't use powered machinery - another gas guzzler - or wasteful single
file tractor rows. Wide rows or beds with permanent walkways is by far the
most efficient use of available space. Given these conditions, I'm looking
for the best ways to combine cover crops and no-till on the home market
garden scale. I've had incredible tasting greenhouse tomatoes in permanent
raised beds with heavy composting and mineral amendments, but have had to
relocate nearer the big city. I hate starting from scratch all over at my
age but it's an opportunity to do better than ever. I'm looking for the
best way to do small scale planting in no-till beds with cover crops
building humus, and no machinery. And like many others, I don't have years
to waste experimenting either.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

--Henry David Thoreau