livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:19:43 -0500 (CDT)

I'm not Paul (and never played one on TV either), but I'll give it a shot...

Plants require minerals in order to grow, not other plants.

It's the process of breaking down biomass in order to present minerals for
plant uptake that we're after. Microbes primarily (only?) perform this work.

Now Paul, about that idea of sticking one's hand in the pile to see if it's
warm enough, should I look to do this if I was composting humanure? :-()
(which I'm not)

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: Nancy Babbitt <nbabbitt2003@adelphia.net>

Paul,
Is it likely then, that composting (allowing microbes to decompose the plant
material) before it's applied to the soil, can have a negative effect on
humus formation. What I mean is that if less plant material is is present in
the final compost, than before composting, and that lesser amount is added to
soil, then there is less to potentially become humus.