livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of soil tests...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan Albinger" <ryalbinger@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of soil tests...
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:06:59 -0500

I have seen the soil testing kits advertised for sale. I am rather certain
they could work when used correctly.
Personally, I have decided to just use a commercial lab with proven
methods, trained personnel, and recommendations on the results. For
myself, there is too much to risk for trying to save a couple dollars for a
soil test that determines my fertility management program. Also, I don't
want to maintain an unnecessary inventory of supplies and reagents that
have a limited shelf life.
A refractometer is probably a good tool to have yourself. Gives you a Brix
level- ballpark measure on the quality and health of your plants. Dr.
Carey Reams did work on Brix levels and associated health of plant and
human. Using pH measure and Brix can clue you in on your plants
nutritional level and the nutrients which it is having trouble accessing.
Ryan