livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Soil test results

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Greg Bell <gregbell@znet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Soil test results
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:37:11 +1000 (EST)

As a learning exercise, I had the soil tested from my silly little raised veggie bed (aobut 4 sq m). I usually have a green thumb, but have horrible results in this bed. Anemic growth, wilting, poor yields, pest problems, etc.

The test was done by the Department of Primary Industries here in New South Wales, Australia. It cost $90.

I figured I'd post the results and get comments. Do you see the problems? In a few days, I'll post the department's guide to interpretting the results.

Electrical Conductivity dS/m 3.7
pH (CaCl2) pH 6.0
Bray Phosphorus mg/kg 310
Total Organic Carbon % 11
KCl extractable Ammonium (NH4-N) mg/kg 12
KCl extractable Nitrate (NO3-N) mg/kg 5.6
Aluminium cmol(+)/kg <0.1
Calcium cmol(+)/kg 41
Potassium cmol(+)/kg 11
Magnesium cmol(+)/kg 9.2