livingontheland - [Livingontheland] organic matter and tilling

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] organic matter and tilling
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:10:58 -0700 (PDT)

Dear livingonthelanders,

The high temperatures and high rainfall in the tropics burns off the organic matter.  It has a half-life of 10 days.  That is why organic matter should be left on top of the soil and that is true in the our climate.  200,000,000 acres of no-till now and growing fast worldwide.  Here in the Lubbock TX area one farmer has had no-till cotton for 25 years. Most farmers thinks he is nuts.  His banker hates it too as he nevers needs to borrow money like all the other farmers.

I asked the Dr. of Agronomy at TTU, who is over the TTU farm land, why they are not promoting no-till.   He emailed me that it does not work here on the South Plains.  I emailed him to please not tell that to the no-till farmers as they do not know it.

Ken Hargesheimer

Go to: http://bibledvd.googlepages.com/home and www.nabuur.com

Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much more to come.

  • [Livingontheland] organic matter and tilling, Ken Hargesheimer, 06/20/2006