livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cultivating beneficial soil fungi to increase yields

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cultivating beneficial soil fungi to increase yields
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:04:26 -0600

This is the point about economic benefit to farmers: promoting the microbes
and organic matter that support them can cut costs dramatically and raise
profits. That can be the difference between living well and going under.
And it doesn't need anything from the gov'mint.

This is from Attra:

The benefits of a topsoil rich in organic matter and humus are many. They
include rapid de-composition of crop residues, granulation of soil
into water-stable aggregates, decreased crusting and clodding, improved
internal drainage, better water infiltration, and increased water
and nutrient holding capacity. Improvements in the soil.s physical
structure facilitate easier tillage, increased water storage
capacity, re-duced erosion, better formation and harvesting of root
crops, and deeper, more prolific plant root systems.
http://attra.org/attra-pub/PDF/soilmgmt.pdf

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933