livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The questions still remain NOWanecdotalevidence

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan Albinger" <ryalbinger@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The questions still remain NOWanecdotalevidence
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:39:44 -0500

Here is an example of what that line means: Many, most, all of the land
grant universities say apply NPK and adjust pH with local lime. Spray the
poison of the day to take care of problems and get yield. Had I, you, all
of us not stepped aside of that paradigm and looked into better ways of
building soils and making crops, we would likely be condemning the paradigm
we follow through ignorance. There are many tools that can be ignored that
can be of value upon evaluation. A leap of faith is required of all new
things. Skepticism must be met with hope to see the value.

Know your sources. I value my personal experience and data and I
experiment with many new things. In fact, a lot of things work and some
don't. I tried in my situation, seen the results, and pursue ones I proved
viable. So indeed look at what people are selling and their motive,
experts often are selling something. University people have financial
motives in the form of grants, donations, and research dollars (read the
mantra "for $100,000, we can prove anything") Again, I sell nothing beyond
good crops. Follow the money indeed. Linda Chalker-Scott. You're right,
I don't know her, but I have looked at many of her write-ups and seen many
holes in data and follow the lanuage and it shows there is bias before the
science. Do you ask a trusted friend gardening advice or a Master
Gardener, first? Believe any person or data you wish so long as you
believe it to be true.

Ryan

  • Re: [Livingontheland] The questions still remain NOWanecdotalevidence, Ryan Albinger, 06/16/2006