livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The questions still remain

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The questions still remain
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:11:38 -0600

I'm not saying it can't be done, and I'm certainly not getting in anybody's
way who's doing it. But those who insist we accept anecdotal evidence as
final proof are expecting us to take it on blind faith. Personally I can't
garden that way, too much at stake.

We know and use demonstrated, reliable practices to improve soil health,
supress disease, improve production and cut costs while doing all of that.
We just don't have clear evidence of compost tea doing a better job of
anything - that is, better than the reliable practices we already have.
Those who know nothing of these established, sustainable practices may well
believe compost tea is the answer to every problem. Or those who stand to
profit handsomely from selling the equipment, or those who don't realize
where the economic incentives lie.

The Myth of Compost Tea, Episode III:\
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_fil
es/Myths/Compost%20tea%203rd%20time.pdf

The Myth of Compost Tea Revisited:
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_fil
es/Myths/Compost%20tea%20again.pdf
• Composted mulch has been documented to suppress disease through a
variety of methods
• Non-aerated compost teas may be useful in suppressing some pathogens on
some plants
• Aerated compost teas have no scientifically documented effect as
pathogen suppressors
• Overuse and runoff of compost teas could conceivably contribute to
water pollution
• There is no “silver bullet” for plant health problems caused by
poor soil health and improper plant
selection and management

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933

  • [Livingontheland] The questions still remain, TradingPostPaul, 06/15/2006