livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 4th annual Texas Conference on Organic Production

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 4th annual Texas Conference on Organic Production
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:12:23 -0600

Thanks but I spent most of my life in TX and I'm familiar with the
different types of soil and climates. I've read up on Elaine Ingham and
I've talked with Howard Garret on occasion and heard him on KRLD thirty
years ago. And now I'm familiar with desert growing; we've had about 3 1/3
inches of rain all year, starting Jan 1st.

What concerns me about all this ACT stuff is, it's only compared to not
using anything. It's like, hey, we got better results using compost tea -
but better than what? Better than plain water? I need more to be able to
take sides on that.

According to my information, bacteria do not make humus which holds
moisture; it's certain myccorrhyzae that form the glomalin that does. And
that is not formed by compost tea. Maybe there's confusion about terms;
humus isn't "hauled to the fields", compost or organic matter can be.
Glomalin which makes humus is formed naturally by most plant roots in
organic matter soils. In my experience finished compost by itself does give
sandy soil more moisture holding capacity and clay better drainage and
percolation. And I can't understand why people keep telling us how
expensive compost is - are they actually buying it commercially?

Let's leave geothermal energy for another list, ok?

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933