livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fwd: Japanese farmer grows lettuce vertically

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Clan Fury <clanfurycollective@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fwd: Japanese farmer grows lettuce vertically
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

Thought it might be interesting if not altogether practical for us. :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060522/od_afp/japanfarmtechnology_060522
111838

Space-crunched Japanese farmer goes 'high' tech

[...]
Farmer Seiichi Marumoto, 65, is growing lettuce vertically on
four-meter (13-foot) walls using artificial light.
[...]

"Even after I built a greenhouse, it didn't pay off because
vegetables are priced so low on the market," he told AFP. "By
going vertical, I can grow plants 10 times more closely to each
other, radically improving productivity."

In the plant, which he calls a farming factory, Marumoto plants
leafy lettuce on twin panels sandwiched by walls of artificial
light.

By controlling the indoor environment, he needs only one-third of
the time usually required to harvest vegetables outside, he said.

In addition, he said his method increases productivity five times
more than typical greenhouse farming.

The vegetables grow their roots into an inner space between the
two panels, which he fills with mist containing fertilizer.
[...]

--
Jeff Chan
mailto:nation-builders@...