livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Humus - Understanding the Soil Processes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Humus - Understanding the Soil Processes
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:06:13 -0500 (CDT)

I'm kind of confused (well, many folks would say that I'm totally confused,
but that's another issue :-))...

This Wiki article, as I've seen elsewhere, says that humus "is any organic
matter which has reached a point of stability, where it will break down no
further and might, if conditions do not change, remain essentially as it is
for centuries, or millenia."

It further states "Effective and stable humus (see below) are further sources
of nutrients to microbes."

Can humus really exist without microbes? To me it seems that it's all a
package deal, and if this is the case then any nutrient extraction by
microbes is likely to alter the chemistry of the humus, and with it, its
stability.

I personally don't believe that anything is stable. And I can't see how
something can retain stability when living things are acting upon it.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: ECO FINCA <ecofinca@hotmail.com>

This link can contribute to know a little more about humus...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humus