livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Small Scale Integrated Farmstead

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Small Scale Integrated Farmstead
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 11:05:57 -0400

On Sat, 13 May 2006 20:02:56 -0500, you wrote:

>Pat, someone on some list one time suggested to all members that the way to
>get around a neighbor who is unhappy about your garden is to find their weak
>spot and share what you can.

We did this for four years. No use.

> I did have one neighbor who didn't care how much I shared with him. He
>would spray roundup on my vetch if it even looked like it was coming in his
>direction. He took out several cherry trees in doing so. We were very glad
>when they moved!

I can imagine.

>Regarding Freecycle, I was able to get a bunch of leaves that way. I filled
>my entire van from front to back with leaves from one house and contributors
>didn't seem to mind at all that I made sure they didn't use herbicides
>(since grass gets raked up with leaves typically).

Now there's an idea. I'll try hard to remember to ask in
Freecycle next fall. We need leaves. We don't have leaves
of our own.

We have only two trees: one is a small tree of some sort
and the leaves are very light and small; they fall and
instantly decompose. We also have a large pin oak in the
front yard. It's a beautiful tree, but it does not lose its
leaves in fall: they fall off one or a few at a time all
winter and into the spring. The new leaves push the last
few old leaves off! So the one or two leaves at a time that
fall off blow away, there are never enough to rake.

Cheers,
Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!