livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Small Scale Integrated Farmstead

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Small Scale Integrated Farmstead
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:31:31 -0400

On Thu, 11 May 2006 23:47:08 -0500, you wrote:

>Pat, perhaps a little at a time you could incorporate ideas about gardening
>for people with disabilities.
>You already know Margaret : )
>http://www.margaretlauterbach.com/handicapped_gardening.htm

Yes, I know Margaret.

> BTW, I know you've already said you don't have access to downed wood but
>perhaps you could ask around to see if a friend would give you some. My
>raised beds out of culled trees and hurricane debris work fairly well. I
>wonder if someone has a rotten firewood pile that they don't know what to do
>with. I've used partially rotten logs for the sides when I had nothing
>else. You could ask on your local Freecycle list and see if anyone would
>look out for wood or bed materials for you.

I could. I hadn't thought about Freecycle (I'm on two
lists, our county and the one west of us).

> Sibes don't bark but they do howl so at one
>time we set a sprinkler pointed directly at their night time kennel and we'd
>sneak out and turn it on when they set off howling. They got to the point
>where they'd stop when they heard us open the door but still would START to
>howl so we had to really sneak quietly and persevere. They don't howl
>anymore.

Our collie (like all rough collies and shelties - but maybe
not border collies, I don't know) just expresses himself by
barking. He barks when he's happy. He barks when our two
dogs play together. He barks when he is [Defending His
Family and Home From The Evil HayTruck]. Then after he has
[Chased the Evil HayTruck Away], he barks in triumph: 'I
have successfully defended my family again!' He's really a
sweet, sweet dog. :)

Lots of people with dogs say that they can train them never
to bark. But then you tell them that you have a collie: and
then they say 'Oh, a collie: forget it!' We NEVER let him
bark long and he'll stop when I tell him to. But there is a
certain amount of barking that cannot be helped.

Both ours are rescues; this collie and our other dog, who is
(probably) half German Shepherd and half golden retriever.
She is not a barker - she only barks appropriately (when
someone or some animal enters our property).

They are both *very good* dogs. Both had really bad
circumstances in their youth (we got them both as young
adults). They would have been *fantastically wonderful*
dogs if we had brought them up.

> I'm lucky in that my newest and right next door neighbor is a gardener.
>I don't believe he cares about sustainability or organic but since his back
>yard reeked for two weeks of fairly putrid cow manure I can bet he won't
>complain about my rare fish emulsion smells wafting his way : )

No, I don't think you need to worry much about that! :)

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!