livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Intro and post on herb/plant choices

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mtncats@planetcomm.net
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Intro and post on herb/plant choices
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:37:23 -0400

Hi Joanna,

Thank you for the post and website. Took a brief look. Reminded me of that
old classic book "One Acre & Security" from the early 70's. Keith and I once
spent time on an effectively unmoderated list concerning homesteading (which
unfortunately became very political). There were several of us living the
dream, along with a large number of dreamers. Congratulations on making the
transition.

Pretty much the opposite of your place, we have almost entirely trees (and
considerably more land) with only our roof getting much summer sun. Raised
beds up there. We're classified as a "tree farm". Harvey here
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/greenhouse.html has got my attention about a
greenhouse. Unclear if I'll be find the construction time this year, rather
full plate already. You might find his observations on crops and fowl
interesting.

A major factor we desire is lack of maintenance, whether crops, livestock
(none here- but the woods are full), or dwelling (ours requires nothing from
us). Went no-till this year and am loving it so far. Even my composting,
while far from fast, requires nothing from me other than adding layers to the
area. With no lawn mower living here, I think I've found a nearby source for
more "green", which will boost production. Horse manure is readily available
for the hauling in our area. Our mushroom cultivation is also extremely low
maintenance. Rather than trying to produce everything we want, informal
bartering works well for us.

Looking forward to your sharing your successes, and otherwise.

Tom (in central Va)