livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Mollison

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Mollison
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:16:23 -0600

I meant it takes money and years to develop an actual working permaculture
project. Yes, you can get the real philosophy in a few days from Mollison's
books, but certainly not from Hemenway. I'd like to stress Mollison didn't
just "start the idea". He lived it for decades. There's been bad blood
between him and the elitist U.S. types making a name off his work, including
that Hemenway who admittedly despises dirty country folk and moved back to
the big city with his Mercedes.

Mollison received a Right Livelihood award for "...developing and promoting
the theory and practice of permaculture", from the international committee in
the Swedish parliament in Stockholm in 1981.

This is from http://www.rightlivelihood.org/recip/mollison.htm

Bill Mollison was born in 1928 and has been called the 'father of
permaculture', an integrated system of design encompassing not only
agriculture, horiculture, architecture and ecology but also money management,
land access strategies and legal systems for businesses and communities. The
aims to create systems that provide for their own needs, do not pollute and
are sustainable. Conservation of soil, water and energy are central issues to
permaculture, as are stability and diversity.

Mollison's two early books, Permaculture One: A Perennial Agriculture for
Human Settlements (with David Holmgren, Trasworld Publishers, 1978) and
Permaculture Two; Practical Design for Town and Country in Permanent
Agriculture (Tagari Publications, 1979) have sold over 100,000 copies and
been translated into eight languages. Since then, he has published three
books, Permaculture - A Designer's Manual (1988), Introduction to
Permaculture (1991) and The Permaculture Book of Ferment and Human Nutrition
(1993). His latest book is Travel in Dreams (1996). In addition, Mollison has
written various articles and reports on permaculture for governments,
educational and voluntary organisations and the general public.

Much more on Mollison at
http://www.abc.net.au/rural/legends/stories/4_1.htm
http://www.tagari.com/?p=58

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net