livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Get big or get small ?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Get big or get small ?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:54:00 -0700

Interesting. You're right, Terry, row cultivation was there before tractors,
even before Jethro Tull's standardized farm implements in England. I've been
told that intensive beds are as ancient as row cropping though, practiced
widely in Asia esp China. Before this century people the world over had to
make the best use of the best land they could get.

>With today's understanding of soil
>biology, intercropping, successional planting, and
>hosts of other minutia, we can stay small, while still
>producing more than we need--our profit margin, so to
>speak.

Yes! I believe building on the past we should have the advanced knowledge now
to live even better - and healthier - post-Peak.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our
most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its
renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry