livingontheland - [Livingontheland] techniques that are thousands of years old

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] techniques that are thousands of years old
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:01:42 -0600

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/growbiointensive.html

In 1972, in response to the world hunger problem and the need to find a way
for people to feed themselves, Ecology Action began a research,
demonstration and education garden in test what is now known as the
Biointensive method. It’s goal was to find a way to raise food in a
practical, affordable, and sustainable manner using available resources.
For nearly thirty years, we have been developing the smallest and least
demanding mini-farm that will sustainably maintain a family in full health,
or in larger plots as market gardens to supply a community. Our research
and development comes from one of the oldest long-range organic research
projects in the country, and our information and training is used by
individuals and projects in over 100 countries. Our work with Biointensive
food raising has reaped enormous return for home gardeners.

Compared with conventional farming practices, Biointensive has the capacity
to produce 2 to 6 times the yield while using 50% less purchased fertilizer
(organic), 99% less energy, and 67-88% less water per pound of food
produced. Indications are that a gardener may be able to grow his/her own
322 pounds of vegetables and soft fruits in a six month growing season on
as little as one hundred square feet — half the size of the average
kitchen. Using the Biointensive method, one needs to spend only a few
minutes in the garden each day, water and weed one quarter as much, and
spend far less effort.

All of this is possible while your soil’s fertility is greatly improved
on a sustainable basis. With good market conditions, it should even be
possible for mini-farmers to make a living on as little as one-eighth acre.
Ecology Action has built on the work of many cultures. Chinese, Mayan, and
other cultures had successful and sustainable agricultural systems that
thrived for thousands of years. We are re-learning techniques that are
thousands of years old.

paul, tradingpost@gilanet.com
http://medicinehill.net

The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry

  • [Livingontheland] techniques that are thousands of years old, Tradingpost, 09/16/2005