livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Can a bigger television set make you happy?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Can a bigger television set make you happy?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:00:42 -0600

Can a bigger television set make you happy?
http://cibolabeacon.com/articles/2005/04/08/opinion/opinion2.txt
Notes From My Soap Box by Julie Ellefson

In heat so stifling you could barely breathe, Gloria Mbake had nothing but
a big smile on her face. With no electricity or running water in her home,
Mbake traveled three miles to a well for water to drink and to use for her
tiny toilet. Her house consisted of a kitchen with two adjoining rooms that
her husband, daughter, two sons and one son's girlfriend and their baby all
shared. The entire domicile would not have been any bigger than half of a
singlewide trailer.

In South Africa where Mbake lives, a huge percentage of the Blacks still
reside in poverty. Yet in the two years that I knew her, Mbake never once
complained about her situation. It was not as though she were ignorant of
how life might be, either. Mbake worked as a maid in a giant house that had
electricity, running water, expensive furniture and a big backyard with a
huge swimming pool.

I, too, have lived in South Africa, but only for three years. I've been
back in America for four months now and have often wondered what motivates
Americans to complain about their lack of "stuff." I have encountered
people who have a place to live and who own a television or two and even a
car. Yet they are peeved that they do not have enough. Some of these people
go so far as to label themselves poverty-stricken.

But poverty is not merely having no car, no television, no modern
entertainment. It is being hungry, like Mbake, and worrying where the next
meal might come from. It is struggling to remain warm in winter because
there is no heater. It is having to trek miles for a drink of water.

In Grants, I have known more than a few people who complain about lack of
money. Yet this is what they have: a roof over their heads, food in the
refrigerator, transportation. Maybe they don't own a Rolls Royce, but they
own a vehicle capable of getting from point A to point B. It seems as
though Americans have forgotten how to be grateful for what they have. Or
have possessions become so important that we have lost the true meaning of
our lives?

Mbake held her family very close to her and radiated love to everyone she
met. Material objects or petty jealousies about material things never
caused her grief or strife.

Nowadays Americans are inundated with millions of dollars worth of
commercials telling them "things" will make their lives better. Buy this
deodorant or this car and you will become a stud with the ladies. This
shampoo, and boys will find you irresistible.

I used to think most Americans were immune to manipulative marketing, but I
am beginning to wonder. It seems Americans now equate happiness with
material possessions.

So instead of spending time building a relationship with a family member,
spouse or child, we buy extravagant things - fancy toys for our children,
expensive jewelry for our wives. Instead of talking together or taking a
stroll in the park, we work extra hours so we can buy more things.

Here's the challenge: Don't buy anything except what you need, like food,
and nourish a relationship for a month. See if it brings you more happiness
than buying "stuff."

  • [Livingontheland] Can a bigger television set make you happy?, Tradingpost, 04/12/2005