livingontheland - [Livingontheland] THIS IS FROM M.I.T. TECHNOLOGY REVIEW, CALLING ATTENTION TO PEAK OIL

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] THIS IS FROM M.I.T. TECHNOLOGY REVIEW, CALLING ATTENTION TO PEAK OIL
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:06:54 -0600

THIS IS FROM M.I.T. TECHNOLOGY REVIEW, CALLING ATTENTION TO PEAK OIL
(how much more mainstream does it have to get before people listen?)

After Peak Oil
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/b/1790/
posted by David Appell @ 4/10/2005 1:21:19 PM

James Kunstler has a very interesting article in Rolling Stone on
what he
calls the “Long Emergency“ -- how the world is going to get by after
“Peak Oil,“ that point in the future when worldwide oil production
peaks and then begins to decline, and as fuel prices climb ever higher.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7203633?pageid=rs.NewsArchive&;
pageregion=mainRegion&rnd=1111689845570&has-player=true&version=6.0.
12.104

He’s not optimistic, foreseeing serious alterations to our economy and a
return to localism in our daily lives:

“Anything organized on the large scale, whether it is government or a
corporate business enterprise such as Wal-Mart, will wither as the cheap
energy props that support bigness fall away. The turbulence of the Long
Emergency will produce a lot of economic losers, and many of these will be
members of an angry and aggrieved former middle class.“

Food production is going to especially be a problem, he says, and personal
mobility will widely decreased. Yet more reason to start paying serious
attention to alternative fuels and a hydrogen economy.

  • [Livingontheland] THIS IS FROM M.I.T. TECHNOLOGY REVIEW, CALLING ATTENTION TO PEAK OIL, Tradingpost, 04/12/2005