livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Disagree/ upcoming work to share

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Disagree/ upcoming work to share
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:30:48 -0700

When someone puts out commercial advertising on a list, people are entitled
to question the value or ethics of the enterprise. The post below is
commercial advertising, asking $4,500 for 4 months of labor and training.
That's $4,500 to pay to the people hosting it, not paid to those
contributing their labor. That's equivalent to a more expensive college
semester. This is an issue of truth in advertising.

Many of us happen to support and practice permaculture principles. There's
nothing new about those principles. Indigenous peoples around the world
have practiced various versions of permaculture adapted to their locales
for millenia. But what's happened in recent years is certain individuals
have given it a capital "P" and tried to charge high prices for it. Not
many take the bait.

The fact is most anyone with rudimentary gardening skills can get a good
book on Permaculture for $20 to $40 and put it into practice on their own
property, instead of shelling out $4,500 to learn it and put their labor
into someone else's property for 4 months. I'd argue that if a person lacks
the intelligence or determination to put the book into practice on their
own, they will never make good use of Permaculture training - or the $4,500
they blow on it.

I've been told that "No farm volunteering or paid position is going to get
you certification in Permaculture Design and give you the professional
development which allows you to one day become a registered teacher
yourself." Quite true. And this is where the larger problem comes in.

The word "professional" is seriously misused there. Teaching Permaculture
is nowhere close to being a real profession, and Permaculture teachers do
not have the qualifications or organization to form a profession.
Permaculture is a nebulous body of knowledge in the public domain, and NO
ONE has the right to claim some exclusive ownership of it, just so they can
pass it out at $4,500 a pop. And what exactly is a "registered teacher"?
Registered where? By whom? So we finally come down to the real value of
this training: you get to call yourself a Registered Permaculture Teacher.
For what purpose? So you can practice Permaculture and help feed the world?
No. So you can start training others and collect the $4,500 yourself. And
you tell the marks they can go out and put on these classes themselves. And
so on. I believe the word for that is Ponzi Scheme.

There are people who advertise for interns, for people to come and work and
learn sustainable farming, organic gardening, etc., in exchange for food,
lodging, and pay. I encourage that arrangement. But to take publicly
available knowledge of growing and try to put a fence around it and claim
it for your own, just to get a lot of money, is not right. Knowledge of
growing food should remain free and spread as widely as possible
everywhere, not hoarded for profit. If you want profit, grow and sell food
like the rest of us. But information needs to be free.

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net