livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Beyond the Peak

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Beyond the Peak
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 05:56:28 -0700

Beyond the Peak by Richard Heinberg
Closing Address to the First US Conference on Peak Oil and Community
Solutions, Yellow Springs Ohio, November 14, 2004
http://www.museletter.com/archive/152.html

. . .
I probably can't tell you anything you should be doing that you are not
already doing about as well as you can under the circumstances. We all know
the drill - grow more of your own food, conserve energy, become active in
your local community, learn useful arts and skills, stock up on hand tools.
In essence: we must plant the seeds for what can and will survive, for a
way of life as different from industrialism as the latter is from the
medieval period, a way of life whose full flowering we ourselves may never
see in our brief lifetimes.
. . .

We have only a dwindling amount of time to build lifeboats - that is, the
needed alternative infrastructure. It has been clear for at least 30 years
what characteristics this should have - organic, small-scale, local,
convivial, cooperative, slower paced, human-oriented rather than
machine-oriented, agrarian, diverse, democratic, culturally rich, and
ecologically sustainable. We have known for a long time that the status quo
- a society that is machine-oriented, competitive, inequitable, fast-paced,
globalized, monocultural, and corporate-dominated - is deadening to the
human spirit and ecologically unsustainable.

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com
http://medicinehill.net
w.cent.NM

  • [Livingontheland] Beyond the Peak, Tradingpost, 02/19/2005