livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Re: Demand Choice - Demand Labeling

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: "self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Re: Demand Choice - Demand Labeling
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:43:05 -0500

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:39:33 -0500, you wrote:

> Buying local, fresh, unprocessed foods IS good, no, EXCELLENT....
>BUT the point with demanding labeling has to do with GMOs. Pat, you still
>are eating GMO soybeans, and probably wheat too.

This is not correct. With all due respect, I probably know
what I am buying or not buying better than you do.

I am buying specifically NON-GMO soybeans and NON-GMO wheat
from growers who specifically state that their crops are
NON-GMO. I suppose they could be lying, but I doubt it.
One has to trust occasionally.

Soybeans:

http://store.yahoo.com/fftosteds-store/higqualnonfo.html

Note that they say "All our Food Soybeans are 100% NON-GMO
and grown, tended, harvested and packaged right here on our
5th generation family farm."

As to the wheat:

http://www.wheatmontana.com/faq.asp

Note that they say:
'WE DO NOT USE G.M.O. (GENETICALLY MODIFIED) VARIETIES OF
ANY KIND. NO G.M.O.!!'

>We (the public) should be
>demanding GMO labeling. The processing is NOT what's putting GMOs on our
>plates! Processing is just putting another whole mirid of poisons in our
>food.:-(

One point of buying/eating non-processed foods (and
preparing them yourself) is, of course, that you CAN get
non-GMO food. I know what our bread contains: we grind the
wheat and bake the bread here. I know what our tofu, tempeh
and soymilk contain: we make them here. I know what our
pancakes or muffins contain: we grind the wheat and make
them here. Etc.

There are of course quite a few other reasons to buy
unprocessed foods, but being able to get non-GMO food is
certainly one reason to do it.

I do, of course, favor specifically labeling GMO food as
such, and suggest that you contact your Senators and
Representative in Congress and tell them that you want this.
I've already done so: unfortunately my two Senators and my
Representative do not agree with me about this (or about
anything else whatsoever).

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.