livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Re: Demand Choice - Demand Labeling

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "The Bennetts" <bennett@frognet.net>
  • To: "self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Re: Demand Choice - Demand Labeling
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:39:33 -0500

Pat Meadows writes:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:30:01 -0700, you wrote:
Demand Choice - Demand Labeling
http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/labeling.html
Currently, at least 46 different genetically engineered foods are being
sold without labeling or pre-market safety testing. These genetically
engineered foods are present in up to 70% of processed food products

Would it be too drastic to also say 'Avoid processed foods'
or 'Cook basic foods from scratch' ?
Then, to complete the circle: BUY LOCAL FOOD whenever you
What you cannot buy locally, can sometimes be bought
directly from the farmer: I buy, for instance, wheat and
soybeans directly from farmers. They're not local, but at
least I am bypassing the middlemen and processing.

Buying local, fresh, unprocessed foods IS good, no, EXCELLENT....
BUT the point with demanding labeling has to do with GMOs. Pat, you still are eating GMO soybeans, and probably wheat too. We (the public) should be demanding GMO labeling. The processing is NOT what's putting GMOs on our plates! Processing is just putting another whole mirid of poisons in our food.:-(
Donna