labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Desert King

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Desert King
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:43:36 -0400

From: On Behalf Of John Barbowski

Had to de-capitate 5 of my young apples this past couple of weeks and re-work the bottom - Damn Bunnies! Even though the bottom foot had plastic spiral protection, the deep snow with an ice crust gave them a convenient perch. I had about 85% girdling on a few others, but they are doing well. Another couple of days of this glorious weather, and I'll have blossoms. Looks like a great year for fruit - makes up for 2007!

==========

Hi,

I wrap my apple trees in three feet of fiberglass window screen, using multiple wraps around the tree.  On the farm orchard we use the empty multi layered winter wheat seed bags to wrap the fruit trees.

We simply use baling twine, or duct tape to lock the screen or bags in place.

The winter wheat seed bags have some fungicides on them that protect the seeds, and my guess is that the rabbits do not like the smell that permeates the multi layers of the bags.  It is cheapo recycling that really seems to work.

I use the window screens year after year.  When people toss out old windows or doors I simply cut out the screens.  You can also get it from places that repair window screens.

This season we have a new hound dog and I have ordered some rabbit scent so I can train the new dog on how to “entertain” furry tailed visitors.  To me rabbits are simply diseased rats with fuzzy tails.

Later,

Tom

  • [OFEX] Desert King, John Barbowski, 04/22/2008
    • Re: [OFEX] Desert King, Thomas Olenio, 04/22/2008