labruscagrape - [OFEX] Desert King

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@hotmail.com>
  • To: Ontario Fruit Explorers <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Desert King
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:23:50 +0000

Hi All,

Last fall, I pruned a Desert King fig before I put it away for the winter. I put the cuttings (about 12) into some 4" pots - two stems per pot. To see if hormones would aid the rooting process, I dipped about a third into Rootone Powder. About 2/3rds of the cutting have taken; it also appears that the hormones had no real effect on which cuttings developed. I now have about three surplus plants and am offering them to whomever.

Desert King is a greenish fig that develops a pink blush when ripe. Sweet, but I found it a bit small. It was a little precocious as only about 1/3rd of the figs developed normally.

 I almost had excess blackberry and boysenberry plants, but it appears they do not like to be kept in 1 gallon pots over the winter - in spite of the good snow cover. I'll give them another week.

The discourse last year (Joe and Bert) about Pawpaws also stimulated my interest in them and I'd be interested in trying them out. Does anyone have anything available. Ideally, one or two plants would be nice. I would ultimately try to graft other varieties onto the plants once they attain a reasonable size. That way, I can ensure sex and variety. Does this sound reasonable - for you pawpaw experts?

No rush for either of the above. The figs are too young to be disturbed into larger posts (they don't transplant well in their early lives). Just voice your interest and I'll pencil your name onto them. One way or other, I'll get them to you this year.

Had to de-capitate 5 of my young apples this past couple of weeks and re-work the bottom - Damn Bunnies! Even though the bottom foot had plastic spiral protection, the deep snow with an ice crust gave them a convenient perch. I had about 85% girdling on a few others, but they are doing well. Another couple of days of this glorious weather, and I'll have blossoms. Looks like a great year for fruit - makes up for 2007!

jmb

Sign in today. When you sign in to Windows Live Messenger you could win $1000 a day until May 12th. Learn more at SignInAndWIN.ca