labruscagrape - [OFEX] OLD STYLE APPLE BUTTER

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "OFEX" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] OLD STYLE APPLE BUTTER
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:49:44 -0400

Hi Biz,

I happened to buy a very old Mennonite cookbook the other day.  Our recent discussion of apple butter had me paging through it today.  Man it has everything from black currant jam, to dandelion wine, to apple butter, to cough medicine and hair tonic.

I know the local Mennonites use pumpkin in their apple butter, so this looks accurate.

APPLE BUTTER

20 medium sized apples

1 cup of sieved pumpkin or pears for thickener

1 ½ quarts of apple cider

1 ½ pounds white sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground allspice

1 tsp ground cloves

Wash and cut apples into small pieces.  Remove stems and blossoms.  Cover with water and boil until soft and put through sieve to remove skins and seeds.  Bring cider to a boil and add apple and remaining ingredients.  Cook and stir until right thickness for spreading.  Store in covered crocks in a cool place.

  • [OFEX] OLD STYLE APPLE BUTTER, Thomas Olenio, 09/18/2007