labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Tom's Apple Butter recipe & a pear question

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Tom's Apple Butter recipe & a pear question
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:15:37 -0400

Hi,

The Wolverton Beauties we have were a mistake.  My in-laws had some custom grafting done by Woodwinds in Bluevale and the Wolverton Beauties came instead of the Improved Snow’s which they sent scions of.

Somehow the orders got mixed.  The guy who ordered the Wolverton Beauties ended up with ½ of my in-laws Improved Snow trees and he wanted more of them in the end.  Our Improved Snow is very similar to the description of Fameuse.  However, we have both what my father in-law calls an Old Snow, and Improved Snow and the Improved Snow is much better.  Very sweet, very white fleshed, red tendrils through flesh, bright red skin.  Not a storage apple at all.

The Wolverton Beauty is a large, well lobed apple.  Definitely has some Red Delicious in its history, but it has the skin coloring of red and green.  It is one of the earliest apples in the orchard.  I like to eat it off the tree.  When I eat a Red Delicious I get a talcum powder feeling in my mouth.  I get the same feel when eating Wolverton Beauty.  I am not sure how to describe the mouth feel and taste of Red Delicious any better.

All our apples are small this year.  Even the Wolverton Beauty apples is undersized.

Later,

Tom