labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] pears orange spots

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] pears orange spots
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:00:18 -0400

Hi,

If sulfur is the answer then it is PH change which kills the rust.  Spraying the tree with milk will have the same effect (in theory).  When the milk sours it is really bacteria forming acid.  Acid of course changes the PH of the leaf surface making it less inviting to the rust spores.

However, I think you can spray milk in hot weather.  Matter of fact it just speeds up the acidifying action.  Think “warm milk” and your next thought is “sour milk”.

In making yogurt and many cheeses a temp around 100F is perfect for souring and curd formation.

I do not know if the PH changes are significant enough to kill the rust though.

So the question for your daughter in-law is “Got milk”?”

Later,

Tom