labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Figs

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Figs
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 14:03:34 -0400

Presence of ants often suggests you have Scale
Remember Tom, patience is not sold in all nurseries   ;-))   Bert
Bert Dunn  Box 352 Schomberg    LOG1T0     1-905-880-4453

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:44 PM

T,

Does this equate to the "Seven Year Itch?"?

What variety of fig do you have. 7 years is about 4 years toooooo long. I purchased my 1st fig, a Turkish Brown in Apr of '04 (Angelo's). Two plants were in one pot - I separated them. They grew well the 1st year, from about 10 inches to at least 3 feet; I gave one to a good friend. In '05, my Breba crop also dropped, but I did get a handful of others on the 2nd  crop. In '06, I had at least 70 delicious Browns; a handful of Brebas, but most on the 2nd, and a few on the 3rd -about 90% dropped when the cool weather came. (See pic attached. The aster grew by itself, and there are 3 asian pears growing in the pots - transplanted outside last fall).

My nephew gave me a Cal King in '05 (bought from Humber). I pampered it in '06 and about 10 figs developed. Only two actually matured and they were mediochre. The plant grew less than a foot. It is still languishing behind. I may soon be looking for some malady.

If you had a Breba crop, you should get more this summer. Give it sun, sun, sun, water, water, water and a shot of 20-20-20 every month. Top off the pot with good compost (or sheep/cattle manure) in the early spring. Watch out for the tree rats - my mother lost 6 of her 10 figs that were developing on her two year old plant. Use a protector for the ants - they too have a liking for the delicious nectar.

jmb