labruscagrape - [OFEX] Spring Status

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "OFEX" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Spring Status
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:49:59 -0400

Hi,

My currants are leafing out.

My espalier crabapple against a south facing wall is leafing out.  The micro-climate on that wall is about two weeks ahead of the normal climate.

Apples that are in ground are at silver tip; some of the silver tips are very swollen.

Grapes are still dormant, no bud swelling.

My potted rose which has been going outside when the temps are above 45F is setting rose buds.  It spent the winter in the unheated garage too, after it went dormant.

Some Isabella grape cuttings, I stuck in sand last fall, in a pot that is located in the unheated garage are about to burst bud.

The figs are covered with swollen, green buds.  I roll them outside (keep the pots in a wagon) on days it is over 45F and sunny, otherwise they too are in the unheated garage.  The driveway gets nice and warm.

I need to start my tomato seeds this weekend.

HURRAY!

Tom

  • [OFEX] Spring Status, Thomas Olenio, 04/20/2007