labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] inexpensive tree pots?

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] inexpensive tree pots?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:35:34 -0500

My goodness , looks like OFEX e-mail now by passing some fences. Tom's diagrams show his neat way of doing a siphoning. I just run short hoses from the bottom of each- & as already said- water finds its own level. I got my barrels from an ethnic store near St Clair, east of Keele- thing they were $8.00 and a beautiful blue!!
I also run my roof trough into a 300 gallon barrel,.

Bert Dunn  Box 352 Schomberg    LOG1T0     1-905-880-4453
www.hardygrapes.tottenham.on.ca
Think Blending-Not Varietals

Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 1:25 PM

Hi,

I get mine at Morrow’s in Drumbo, Ontario.  They primarily supply farmers, and have used/new empty barrels and plastic tanks of ALL sizes.

They come in white, black and sky blue.

This is what I do;

If you are careful, the center ring you cut out of the barrel makes a nice circular, scalloped garden edging.

We gave the center ring to my mother in-law and she simply put it on her lawn, filled it with soil, and added plants to it in the spring.

Nothing goes to waste that way.  I made my lines for cutting, then drilled a hole so I could stick the sabre saw blade in and start cutting along my lines.

To increase my rain water storage I gang three barrels together by setting up a siphon hose between the three barrels.  When it rains the siphon fills the barrels evenly, when I take water the siphon levels them out.  I just look for old garden hose people are tossing out, and create my three way siphon with two 90 degree angles fittings, and a “T” fitting, from the local hardware store.  I never run out of rain water all summer.

To get the siphon running fill each barrel about ½ way with your hose.  Insert the siphon above so there is a hose in each barrel below the water level.  Now take one hose end and attach it to your home’s water supply and turn in on full water pressure to drive the air out of the siphon.  Hold the connection under water and unscrew it and the siphon is now working three ways.   It will run all season unless you run out of water, or pull a the siphon out.

Later,

Tom