labruscagrape - [OFEX] Ancient Climate Change

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Roy Green <rgreen@900chml.com>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Ancient Climate Change
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:19:53 -0500

Hello All,

I dug out Columella’s citation on climate change.  He was quoting Hipparchus a famous Greek astronomer and mathematician, and the inventor of trigonometry, who lived in the second century B.CColumella lived in the first century AD.

L. Ioni Moderati Columellar (Lucius Junius Moderatus Columella)

Rei Rusticae, Liber I (On Agriculture, Book I)

“Hipparchus,1 has put it on record that the time will come when the poles will change position, a statement to which Saserna, no mean authority on husbandry, seems to have given credence. 5 For in that book on agriculture which he has left behind he concludes that the position of the heavens had changed from this evidence: that regions which formerly, because of the unremitting severity of winter, could not safeguard any shoot of the vine or the olive planted in them, now that the earlier coldness has abated and the weather is becoming more clement, produce olive harvests and the vintages of Bacchus in the p31greatest abundance.”

So there was a massive climate change, recorded by humans prior to the second century BC.  And it happened fast enough that the change was noticed by man.

It happened again in the middle ages when global temperatures were an entire 1C warmer than they are now.  It was known as a time of plenty.

Personally, I believe all the fuss over climate change is a distraction and a money grab.  The global climate changes over time.  It has changed in the past, and it will change in the future, and mankind has little impact on what drives those changes.

Rather than fearing more clement weather, the ancients embraced the rewards of olives and grapes.  Certainly food for thought.

Later,

Tom

  • [OFEX] Ancient Climate Change, Thomas Olenio, 12/17/2006