labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] red currants

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] red currants
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 07:23:16 -0400

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 04:06:35 -0400, Biz Storms <biz.storms@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Tom, is your "ground hugging" red currant actually a variety called "cherry" or is it a Red Lake?

Hello,

I have both "cherry" and "red lake". The Red Lake is very upright. Some years the Cherry is laying down due to fruit load.

The robins seem to like the Cherry, when on the ground, as they can hide and eat at the same time. Red Lake offers little cover with its upright habit.

I am considering taking out all the Cherry (3) because picking them (on the ground) is a nuisance. and you have to contend with the race against the robins, and their droppings on berries.

I have three Ben Lamond (black currants)that would replace the red Cherry nicely.

Any takers?