labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Spring

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Spring
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:00:03 -0500

Hello Tom
This invasion also happens when one attempts to protect "in the field"
plants with hay /or a product lke Arbotex. An article suggested pop
cans,,very dry of course, with some mouse seed therein, put near the plant.
Can slanted with bottom up, slanted so water will not spoil the mouse seed.
Article said-it works Cheers Bert
Bert Dunn Box 352 Schomberg LOG1T0 1-905-880-4453

Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 5:35 PM
Subject: [OFEX] Spring

> Hello All,
>
> Well... I learned something this past winter. I had about fifteen, five
> gallon pots with grape vines in them. I thought i would build a hay bale
> shelter next to the house to portect them from the worst of winter's cold.
>
> What I learned...
>
> The shelter of hay bales against the house worked beautifully. The
> problem was mice thought it was great too. Warm, dry and plenty of potted
> food for them.
>
> They ate everything except for one Concord grape vine, one Frontenac grape
> vine, and one red currant. They even dug the soil out of some of the pots
> and ate the roots of some grapes (a numbered variety).
>
> They created tunnels throughout the hay bales. I had to laugh at myself.
>
> Later,
> Tom

  • [OFEX] Spring, Thomas Olenio, 04/01/2006
    • Re: [OFEX] Spring, bert dunn, 04/02/2006