labruscagrape - [OFEX] Spring

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Spring
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 17:35:52 -0500

Hello All,

Well... I learned something this past winter. I had about fifteen, five gallon pots with grape vines in them. I thought i would build a hay bale shelter next to the house to portect them from the worst of winter's cold.

What I learned...

The shelter of hay bales against the house worked beautifully. The problem was mice thought it was great too. Warm, dry and plenty of potted food for them.

They ate everything except for one Concord grape vine, one Frontenac grape vine, and one red currant. They even dug the soil out of some of the pots and ate the roots of some grapes (a numbered variety).

They created tunnels throughout the hay bales. I had to laugh at myself.

Later,